Light Cornbread Muffins with Honey Butter


Mmmmm, can you say honey butter.  



Yes, the cornbread muffins are "light" and absolutely must be eaten any time there is chili in the house, but forget about that...  




gimme more of that honey butter
 (oh, and can I please announce to the world that my 8 year old son, Alex, took the above picture... I know, amazing!).  


Clearly, my daughter was reaching for more of those muffins, too, but little does she know the secret is in the honey butter. 



Tonight we had Halloween and trick-or-treat experience with our 8 year old and 4 year old.  But before the candy saturated, costume covered gorgeous-ness began, we had a pre-halloween dinner with some friends.  Our lovely friends served a most delicious chili, and we brought cornbread and salad. Hold on to your hats, people...their chili was even better than this chili!  I'll be adding their recipe soon, I promise.  I need it!

But I need me some more cornbread right now.  Yum.  And when I say light, I mean only 1/4 cup of butter and the rest applesauce sort of light... you know that light... moist and delicious sort!


 



So, here is the recipe, from Cooking Classy 


Light Cornbread Muffins with Honey Butter

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • Whipped honey butter for serving, recipe follows
  • Whipped Honey Butter
  • 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions
  • Heat oven to 400³F.
  • Grease bottom and side or round pan, 9x1 1/2 inches, or square pan, 8x8x2 inches, with shortening.
  • Beat milk, butter and egg in large bowl with hand beater or wire whisk.
  • Stir in remaining ingredients all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
  • Pour into pan.
  • Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  • Serve warm if desired.
For the honey butter, mix it all together, takes all of about 30 seconds.  I mixed mine by hand. 


 (Another photo by the amazing 8 year old Alex seen below)





Comments